sabato 7 aprile 2012

God gave us relatives, thank God we can choose our friends.

Dear Mary,
please find enclosed my entire Noblet collection  
as a sign that I forgive you.
When I received your book,
the emotions inside my brain felt like they were in a tumble dryer,
smashing into each other.
The hurt felt like when I accidentally stapled my lips together.
The reason I forgive you
is because you are not perfect.
You are imperfect, and so am l.
All humans are imperfect,
even the man outside my apartment who litters.
When I was young, I wanted to be anybody but myself.
Dr Bernard Hazelhof said
if I was on a desert island then I would have to get used
to my own company-
just me and the coconuts.
He said I would have to accept myself,
my warts and all,
and that we don't get to choose our warts.
They are a part of us and we have to live with them.
We can, however, choose our friends
and I am glad I have chosen you.
Dr Bernard Hazelhof also said
that everyone's lives
are like a very long sidewalk.
Some are well paved.
Others, like mine,
have cracks, banana skins
and cigarette butts.
Your sidewalk is like mine
but probably not as many cracks.
Hopefully, one day
our sidewalks will meet
and we can share a can of condensed milk.
You are my best friend.
You are my only friend.
Your American penpal,
Max Jerry Horowitz.
 
 
 
P.S. Do not worry about not smiling. My mouth hardly ever smile but it does not mean l am not smiling inside my brain.
P.P.S. Insomma, dovete vederlo. Questo film è sorprendentemente incantevole. 
P.P.P.S. un assaggio della colonna sonora
 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento